GDevelop 5 new editor - Beta versions

Preview is fixed and should work flawlessly - it’s based on Amazon S3 and it’s almost serverless so should be 100% reliable and scalable!
I’ve added right click support for next version :slight_smile:

Good idea, added on my roadmap, will try it!

Strange, examples assets should are stored on a Amazon S3 bucket so it should not be a problem. It happen to myself too from time to time, will check.

By the way, I’m working on a new wiki for GDevelop 5 : wiki.compilgames.net/doku.php/gdevelop5/start

It’s empty for now, but it already has a new and cleaner theme :slight_smile: The goal is to make something more accessible, with a clear menu on the left. I will progressively add Help links in GDevelop 5 opening the wiki as pages are created. :slight_smile:

So, is the layout of the new IDE is final so we could start to add content with screenshots or better to wait a bit more until it done?

Wondering if would it be practical if a link to the wiki page could be added for each and every option in GD5. So let say if we right click on an item, a link to the wiki page would be included as an options to explain what the item is, or if we hover the mouse over the item and do nothing for 2-3 seconds, it could display a short hint about what the item is and a link or button to the wiki to read more about it… So instead of having only a bunch of links on a start page or open the whole wiki page or something, I think it would be nice to let people click on any item/object/event/button/option in the IDE and select if they want to know more about it. It would also mean, the GD5 wiki need to be organised differently, among complete tutorials explaining “how to” and “getting started” it would required to have nice detailed pages for each and every option, button, event individually explaining what is it and how it works with screenshots and examples included. In case of events, we could even make very basic and simple stand alone examples included that the user can import with a click of a button to try it. GD5 would have some stock sprites included (kenney assets or whatever) and such examples need to use that stock sprites so people don’t need to download assets and copy, move anything between folders, just click “import” from GD5 and it would download the project file from the wiki and open it… But I think I’m going way too far as usual. I don’t know, just flashed through my head when I was read about the wiki and help links and I couldn’t resist.

I guess we can start. Let’s try to complete things and if the interface changes or I want to reorganize things I will update the content of the wiki :slight_smile:

My goal is to have GDevelop 5 as being the main version used by new users so even if it’s not finished and quite raw compared to GDevelop 4, let’s write the documentation now!

Ahah, well at least I was thinking about “Help” links in most dialogs so that it should cover most of the software. Of course every Help link will open the Wiki at the right page. But every button is maybe a bit too much. :mrgreen:
But the other ideas are good. For example, having example of events is something that I would like to have in the events category in the wiki.

Not sure if this has already been asked: Will project made with the old version work in the new editor too?

GDevelop 5 is based on the exact same codebase as GDevelop 4 so yes!
However, for now, only the HTML5 games are supported in GDevelop 5. Once it’s working well, I’ll add support for the remaining object types and native games.

But again the game engines (both HTML5 and native), the internal classes and tools handling the games, objects, events are exactly the same between GDevelop 4 and 5 so GDevelop 5 should be fully compatible.
In fact you can already open GDevelop 4 games with GDevelop 5 :mrgreen: As long as it’s HTML5 games :slight_smile:

I tried to remake the beginner tutorial from the GD4 wiki when I realized, I can not make a new empty project, can not give a title for the game, can not add my own resources to the resource manager and can not add new objects and groups :laughing:

I guess I was too optimistic on this one. Too many functionality is just not there yet :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess what I really had in mind is that, some new game makers I did come across in the past few months do have interactive tutorials where they highlight the buttons you need to press while making your first game and you can get more info on the purpose and functionality of certain options and button by selecting it and I kind of liked it. For someone completely new to game development, this is the very first attempt making a game I’ve found this way of “help” very useful. You looking at something, wondering “what is this for” and get the answer by simply clicking on it. Pretty cool if done right in my opinion.

Wow, first things, thanks for this! :mrgreen:

True! But Title is not important for now.

You can add images directly in objects editors :slight_smile: The goal is to avoid having to use the resource manager at all.

You can! Have you looked at the + button at the bottom on the objects list? Maybe it’s not visible enough?

It’s also true that groups are missing for now (well, they are supported in events but can’t be created) and so that is limiting what we can do :laughing:

Also if you’re using the desktop version, it’s lacking a few features that I’ve developed and deployed to the web app but not yet in the desktop version :slight_smile:

But now I know what I should prioritize to get a version of the new IDE advanced enough for writing a tutorial :stuck_out_tongue:

Nope, I didn’t scroll down for some reason I was expecting somewhere…just right in front of me :sunglasses:
Now that you mention it, I have just noticed the plus sign is below the items everywhere.
I don’t really like that as the list of items can be very long so that’s definitely not the right place in my opinion as you need to keep scrolling all the time you want to add a new item.

How about to place a plus sign simply on the top/title bar everywhere? It always on top and always visible.
mokup1.png
mokup2.png

Or, you could make it so if the plus sign is outside the screen then make it gently sit/float on the bottom of the screen at all times. Of course it would overlap items, but it could be fixed by let the user scroll the items a bit further if it in the way.
mokup3.png

But then it would be a problem if there is multiple different categories outside the screen like Scenes and External layouts…
Personally, I would go with the top/title bars really.

I’m not too sure how do I feel about that. Even though it a bit slower and require more steps, I do like to keep and manage all my resources in a single place so I don’t need to browse a bunch of folders on my PC all the time I want to use an image.
I can just drop all my images in to the resources and whenever I want to use one, I can just pick one from the resource manager regardless how the images are organised and stored on my PC filesystem and inside the project folder for that matter.

Sure that would be nice, and a floating action button is something that is Material Design guidelines too :slight_smile:
The thing is that it will be harder to add in the project manager… or on the contrary ! There can be a single floating “add” button, and when you click on it you can choose if you want to add a scene/external events/external layout!
It’s something that is quite usual in mobile apps based on Material Design Guidelines too :slight_smile:

Resources manager won’t be deleted, but the goal is that new user should not need it when starting with GDevelop :slight_smile:
Adding images should be as simple as clicking on a button and choosing a file (again, for new users).

It is sounds interesting, definitely worth a try and see if it works all places :slight_smile:

And how do you plan to make the current method and the resource manager work side by side? Because at the moment if you click on the add new animation frame it opens the file browser and when I click the resource manager it doesn’t really do anything at least for now.

I think it would be nice when we click the add new animation frame button it would give us the option to open image from resource manager or load new image from local drive directly.

I understand where you want to go with this, but in huge projects with thousands of potential images, in my opinion all user get to the point when they want to and have to organize their images. The question is where should be the place to organize them. The file system, so the people must organize their images in to folders inside the project folder or it needs to be the resource manager so people don’t need to worry about how the images are stored locally inside the project folder.
I think it need to be the resource manager especially if you want to allow people (new user) to open images from anywhere even outside the project folder and GD need to deal with it locally. So you either force even new users to mess around the file system to organize their images or let them organize their images directly in GD so they don’t even need to bother with the project folder. I think the latter is more (new) user friendly.

Hi Florian, I tried to open an only html project but I had this alert “Unable to read this project. Please try again later or with another save of the project.”.
Just to be sure that the project was html only I make an empty new one with version 4, saved it and tried to open with version 5 (beta5).
Where I do wrong?
Thx

Simone

Is the project file is in JSON format? If it not, then you need to save/create the project as JSON. When you create or save the project just enter .json instead of .gdg
Simply renaming .gdg to .json is not going to work. The project need to be saved as json

I’m not sure what do you mean “save/create as JSON”.
Here’s what I do: I create an html only project with my GD 4.0.92 Mac version. I save it empty as it is on desktop named “ciao.gdg”.
After that I rename it “ciao.json”.
I try to open it on GD 5b5 but I have the same alert “Unable to read this project. Please try again later or with another save of the project.” :frowning:

save/create the project as “ciao.json” by typing .json instead of .gdg when you create the project.
Sorry, I don’t know how to explain it any better :imp:

You can open a .gdg project in GD4 and do “Save As” with .json extension too, then you can open it in GD5.

I’ve released beta6 (download it from the website: compilgames.net/) with support for creating groups, small tweaks in events rendering, support for events folding. :smiley:
No changes related to the way + buttons are displayed, but I’ve added small labels on the left so that it’s harder to miss them.

Mmmm Depends, on Lil Bub game, everything is organized in folders on the file system, and I don’t have any virtual folder in the resource manager. I think it’s more maintainable to rely on the file system for now. Anyway I’ll implement the resource manager but later, for now I want to have it as transparent as possible.

It’s unimplemented, I should maybe remove entirely the resources button for now.

Anyway, the general idea is that when you want to add an image, you should not worry about having to add images to a “resource manager” to whatever complicated things is used inside GD. You should click a button, choose where to find your images (filesystem, dropbox, Google drive, URL…), choose your image and that’s all :slight_smile: Users should not bother with having to organize their images inside GD - they have to organize their images the way they prefer using their favorite service. :slight_smile: Even if there will be a way to access to the resources manager for advanced users or to replace an image with another or changing smoothing properties.
Later I’ll implement loading images from dropbox/Google Drive/URL. For now only the file system is supported because GD is still mainly a desktop app before anything else. So it’s something that’ll come back in the future :slight_smile:

When you get to this, would be great if you could look in to also making an offline version for Chrome OS so I can browse the file system and google drive to load images (or if you can add the functionality to the online version). I spend less time at my main desktop PC these days and I would love to use GD on my Chromebook if it not too complicated to achieve :slight_smile:
In case you don’t have a Chromebook and you don’t want to invest in to one, you can try CloudReady which is basically Chromium OS:
neverware.com/

Ah ok! I did it. Thank you all.

I’ve adapted and rewritten the existing Platform game tutorial for GDevelop 5 here: wiki.compilgames.net/doku.php/gd … game/start

Feel free to improve it or create new pages (this part is not written yet: wiki.compilgames.net/doku.php/gd … dd-enemies).
The plan is to make the tutorial more visible for new users directly from GDevelop 5.