[SOLVED] Health Point System

I have noted that from the wiki and tried both ways; as text and numbers, with and without strings. Listen, I’m done with this, truly. There are things on my list of priorities that I really need to “think more” about, however, developing a game of any kind (“classic” or no) isn’t especially high up on it. Thanks.

Ok mate, I’m not pushing you, just want to help… I don’t write back if you don’t ask for help :wink:

While it’s true that there’s other stuff on my mind that ranks higher on the ‘to do’ list and I’m really just exploring GD at this point, I was simply out of patience. Sorry for getting snippy.

I managed to get it partially working; the health text is updating properly now. I haven’t really tried to make it where the deleted objects are remembered yet, but I’m still going to work on it. Meanwhile, I’m satisfied with just changing the scene, especially with the addition of a “try again” link on the ‘death scene’. As long as the health doesn’t get stuck at 0 or negative numbers anymore, that was the main thing.

Thank you for all the advice. :slight_smile:

If you’re planning to giving up, just send me a copy of your project: I will get my hands on it and fix it for you (just because I love to do such nasty things) and show you how it’s not only possible, but indeed, very easy to set a health point system (in fact, you can’t get an easier-to-learn game enigne than GD) :sunglasses: Then you can go further with your project and keep learning about game developing, without messing up your life, vital energies or loosing your patience.

Just send me a PM :wink:

Nah, I’m not planning on giving up. I may lose my patience sometimes, but I’m also a very determined individual and actually seem to have a gift for learning all kinds of software. It’s not the software that I was having trouble with aside from some basic UI inconveniences (like the lack of a “save” button right on the toolbar); it’s the events.

Even though you don’t have to be a programmer to create the games, you do have to know something about variables (what types are most useful & efficient for what purpose) and the proper order to put events in - it’s not always very obvious or clear. If it were, non-programmers / new users wouldn’t be here asking so many questions. :wink:

With that said, I do like GD and I’m amazed at what can be created in a relatively short amount of time by someone with little to no programming experience. I do have some as a former web designer; but never really used much JavaScript in my work and have left that field outside of as a hobby, hence my issues with the conditions and actions.

The health system in my game is working. It was working before, just not quite how I wanted. It’s better now :slight_smile:

Thank you for the offer!