Hello everyone! I am a noob!

Hey everybody. I’m very inexperienced with game design but I’ve enjoyed what I’ve done in the past. (001 RPG Maker). I’ve been wanting to make a platformer for a long time, and this seems like the simplest way for me to do it.

I’ve been struggling with it a bit already, but is there an in depth tutorial for platformers I can take a look at? The built-in tutorial doesn’t cover a ton of stuff, like how to add enemies and make them damage you, how to change levels, etc.

I appreciate any help! Thanks.

-calvinlld

Hi and welcome :slight_smile:
There are other articles in the wiki and videos for specific tasks, but changing level is through scene switching, and for enemy’s damage you have to check collisions under certain conditions (for example you collide with an enemy but you aren’t jumping).

Just to clear things up, the platformer behaviour in GD help you only to setup the controls and movement of a platformer game but everything else need to be done from scratch. Unlike in 001 where everything is already set including AI, damage, health, weapons, items…etc and you only need to play with values , tables and options, in GDevelop you need to come up with your own solutions and your own ways of doing things by using variables, structures, loops and logic.

In GDevelop you can’t just mark a sprite to be enemy that can and will damage the player if this is what you looking for. You need to make enemy behaviour and damage system from scratch. So, no, I don’t think GDevelop is going to be easier. It is a completely different way of developing a game than 001. It may be not going to be as simple as you might think.

Also, in case you want to target mobile 001 got better mobile support I can tell you that now. So keep that in mind when you make your decision to switch from 001 to GDevelop. I don’t want to put you off but I don’t want you to be the next person running around and swearing all over the forum because GD is not what you expected. :imp:

There are plenty tutorials on the wiki and youtube to get you started with GDevelop and lot of examples shared on the forum that I have collected on the wiki over the years:
wiki.compilgames.net/doku.php/gd … tyexamples
They are for GD4 in case you are using GD5 you can check out my examples to get you started:
gametemplates.itch.io/

Actually, I believe the GD5 examples are compatible with GD4 sou you can try my examples even if you are using GD4.

Thanks for the help guys! And yes, I didn’t properly state that I meant gdevelop would be simplest in the engines where you have to start from scratch! I’m here looking for something more difficult than 001 actually, so I’m glad for the challenge! :smiley: