gametemplates.itch.io

:imp:

Sorry I’m not really interested in making tutorials in general. I’m enjoy using GD and I had lot of fun making templates, trying to explain what does what in comments but making a tutorial and explain every bits and pieces step by step is not my interest. I know it would be useful, but I just don’t have the time any more. I did the tutorials on the new GD5 wiki only because no one else did (!) and 4ian asked for the help, but I’m not really interested in making tutorials. There are people here dedicated to tutorials, I’m sure one of them might be interested.

Thanks.

What kind of game you want to develop you can know?

I think you can make any game with your level.

The problem of the game are the assets and the graphics to be found really takes a long time.

In case you mean templates. I don’t know yet actually if I’m even going to continue making templates at all but if I do, there would be no specific game or genre, but all sort of genres may even remakes of other games.
Regarding personal project, I’m developing a space sandbox RPG game but it have been redesigned a million times already, I also been engine hoping a lot so I don’t think I ever going to finish it.

Yeah, I find animated characters and effects the most problematic. if you are not an artist it can be really difficult especially if you are making an unique game. The best solution is once your game is done is hire an artist to replace your place holders.
For that reason I was seriously look in to RPG Maker recently. RPG Maker comes with tons of really good staff and the RPG Maker community also sharing tons of content, it would be easy to find someone to do custom assets or may even do my own by editing the existing ones. It would mean I need to use RPG Maker, but it would be ok for the most part except I don’t like the text based inventory (though maybe I could change that) and it would be very difficult to add multiplayer. But maybe I could finally finish my game.

Well, you would be surprised how many projects laying around that I got stuck with because of a bug I can’t solve or things I just don’t know how to improve especially math and geometry related staff.
I know a few things but there is a lot more I don’t :frowning:

Hi all!

Probably any of you using GD5 or reading GitHub already know that all examples shared at itch.io going to be bundled with GDevelop5. As it is relatively big in size, I believe 4ian making statistics on which examples are opened the most frequently and he is going to keep the ones that are more popular.
I have also ported over some of the GD4 examples made by “you” to be bundled with GD5 and improved the examples where I could with comments and events. The original authors has been credited. I hope people are going to enjoy them.
The examples are continue being available at itch.io just in case 4ian decide to not include some of them later so everyone keep access to all examples I shared at itch.io. I may also going to update them time to time so it would be always the most up to date list.

I think we have covered pretty much all features of GD5 with the examples shared at itch.io if anything is missing or you have any idea please let me know here, I’m considering making more examples for GD5 but got no idea what exactly.

Also some update on my future plans for gametemplates.itch.io/
I plan to make templates to cover genres in general like,
-side scrolling platformer
-strategy
-top-down shooter
-RPG

I’m thinking of designing these templates modular so people can add/remove features as they need them and tweak the features by changing values to create their own gameplay. For example in the platformer template I will add collectable and usable items like weapons, jet pack, health pack, ammo, different platforms and different play style like infinite runner and traditional controls to choose from, different enemy types with different behaviors to tweak and design your own platformer. The same goes for all other genres as well. Actually what I have in mind would be a kind of framework for developing a certain genre. Probably it is not even going to be called “template” but called “framework” instead. In essence It would be something similar to the platformer behavior in GD5 but offer way more features and options to tweak for each genre.

It is going to be free and open-source and open to contributions on Github. I’m going to share more info on this later if it going to be relevant as I’m uncertain at the moment if I’m going to be using GD5 for this. Probably not, but let me know if you have any idea on how something like this could be implemented in GD5.
One way I was thinking it would have a core that is connecting all features together and all features would be included as external events. In case you need any features you could simply just link to the external event and use groups to add objects to be collectible for example or obstacle, enemy…etc. The core would take care of the integration of the feature and any information shared between the features. In case you don’t need any features you could simply delete the external event. Animation would be an issue though. in GDevelop you would be definitely limited regarding animations because for example if I design an enemy with only 5 animations walk, jump, stand, shoot, crouch, you would need to add these animations to add your own enemy with your own animations. But it would be definitely limited and this is the reason probably I won’t make this in GD.

But I don’t know, as I have described would it be useful to anyone?
While I work out the details feel free to share any ideas, any features you think would be useful.

So i came across this gdevelop community by pure luck and i thank god for that … the help that i have found from people here is just amazing . But unfortunately this is after going through a lot of searching … when i started a month ago i was looking for a free game engine to make my dream come true which is making a game … so i was about to give up until i found gdevelop by pure luck … it was amazing simple and super easy to understand . But i thought this was the hard part but i was wrong …

( Tutorials )
When i actually started making my game i had no idea what i was doing … what should i write to make this happen or this … then i searched youtube and the sad part … it was so so hard to find a place with all the tutorials and just go to it when i ever need anything … so i kept searching again for about a week to come across this wonderful community … it’s amazing and i’m not jocking about that .

My experience turned from low to high because of the amount of help i got from you people around here and from the different answers around here in the community .

Like now i’m typing my own codes . Solving my own problems if i can … asking for help here if i can’t .

So tutorials on youtube … here on the community … making profit … no profit … it’s always great to see some good work … you are all amazing … and i truly hope to find this one place just full of tutorials starting from beginner to experienced . And have a bunch of possibilities that you can make your games with not by copying the code and that’s it but by learning how to do it .

For me i prefer YouTube tutorials and i would love to see a channel just for gdevelop 5 or gdevelop 4 tutorials .

Anyway . You are amazing whoever making tutorials and helping other people make thier own dream come true .

Having experienced people around here is always great .

Thank you …

Big news everyone:

gametemplates.itch.io now offer help in a more direct and personnal manner with making your games.
We also looking for freelance developers and artists to add to our contact list in case we need some help with some of the work we have.

As many of you requested and suggested, among other thing, we also offer to write documentations and tutorials for any “how to” questions you may have or we can also book a time that suit you and provide help over Skype or Messenger.

For more details visit:
gametemplates.itch.io/

Fantastic news everyone!
We have setup a forum at gametemplates.itch.io
gametemplates.itch.io/forum

In case contact in email is too much trouble for you, especially if all you aiming for is FREE content, now you can leave your request also on the forum for any features, examples and templates that you would like us to do and we are going to take it in to consideration. In case you be using the forum and make requests, please also mention that if you want the example or template for GDevelop, it may be obvious reading here but it may be not going to be obvious reading at the forum as we do support multiple engines now, GDevelop is only 1 of them.

However, we are unable to provide technical support on the forum and in case you are posting your request on the forum we can not guarantee the work we do, if we do is going to 100% the way you want it and we also can not agree to any deadline.

Have a good day

Wonderful news!

We are considering to make an Isometric RPG template.
In case you are interested let us know, and also mention what features would like to see.

You can find our currently planned features here:
itch.io/t/267026/isometric-rpg-template

In case I receive no feedback I take it the GDevelop community is not interested and I’m considering to use an other engine in that case that I do prefer. Tiled for maps with either Phaser, AppGameKit or MonoGame

What do you think of adding some system like :

• Door opening
  • A slab with a crate on it opens a door
  • Drop an item on the ground

This sounds great. I was already astonished about the beautiful new example game.
Some thoughts for the template:

• Enemies that move towards the player (pathfinding behaviour) , changing their sprite animation according to the movement angle
  • Mele attack for the player that damages and pushes the enemies back a bit.
    In other words the basics for a diablo like game that can be extended.

I have noticed the silence on on my own game too. But I think one shouldn’t judge the situation by the number of replies. My WIP thread doesn’t get any feedback (apart from you :wink: ) but it has a lot of views non the less.
Even if you don’t get feedback now, your template will be helpfull for al lot of people in the future.
A small game engine like GDevelop lives and dies with it’s community support.
The Game Editor engine for example has long been abandoned by it’s developer but the community keeps it alive.
GD has a lot of rookies and (sadly) only a few experienced users but by giving newcomers plentivull tutorials, examples and templates we could transform more rookies into experienced users.
I think it would also help, if GD would get its own page on Itch and other game sites to get some more attention.

I was thinking really to get the core mechanics done only, Things like opening doors and staff must be added by the user anyway to switch between scenes.

Yes, I can make the player to drop item on the ground and also the enemies to drop a random item or the actual weapon they are using and cloth they are wearing. I guess, I could add a simple variable to set what you would want the enemy to do when killed.

Also crates and barrels to drop random item or a selected item.
I have added these to the list. Thanks.

Yes, 8 directional movement is on the list. Melee to push enemy back is interesting, could be also a functionality of items like shield. I added to the list. Thanks.

The problem with that, an isometric RPG will be extremely complex and going to take lot of effort to make and going to require effort to use and I don’t want to make something that no one going to use or not going to be useful because of the complexity or because of limitations.

I’m not sure if I can target beginners with this and if I can not but only advanced users then I would prefer using Phaser or MonoGame or even AGK even though AGK does not support OOP, but I could come up with something similar.

It is a decision I haven’t made yer, but I need to.

In MonoGame and Phaser I could write a routine that would create the whole game from a Tiled map alone.
You could make the whole game in Tiled by creating the levels, add the enemies and creates and mark object locations, set object variables right in Tiled and then the template I make would read this info and generate the game.
From your point of view it would be not much more difficult than using GDevelop, but from my point of view I would have lot more control and I could also make the template more organized for advanced users.
It would also have the benefit I could even supply multiple constructors to allow you to configure your object in any ways you want.

With using GDevelop it would be more limited and restricted what you can do and what I can do yet I have doubts regarding it will be simple enough for beginners and no coders and flexible enough for advanced users. I would need to do this from scratch anyway because GD has nothing to help me with, maybe the inventory array but even that is a bit limited I may be better off creating even the inventory from scratch using structures, so from my point of view I see no benefit in using GD. And the only thing GD would help you with is the level editor but Tiled could be just as good really…

Any thoughts on Tiled+Phaser/MonoGame or GDevelop + groups/external events would be welcome.

I guess I could make a prototype in GD of what I have in mind with some basic things like add player with 8 directional movement, and some objects to interact with and then all of you have something to comment on if it would be something you could use or not and if not why not and then I can make the decision if I can improve the workflow iin GD or better to go with Tiled+Phaser or MonoGame.

I’m going to release the prototype by end of this week, in the mean time please continue list any features you would like to see in an RPG template.

Thanks.

Hi all!

So I have done a very quick prototype of what I have in mind.
It is including only the functionality to open or break storages that is going to drop an item. It is nowhere near the final design, only a quick demonstration of the basic concept:
You can download it from here, from the bottom:
gametemplates.itch.io/template- … gkdlkehjff
It is not public for now, only for you guys who reading this topic and the forum at itch.io.

EDIT://
Since the community did not show any interest I decided no to waste my time with this and removed the page.
It is not going to be made or anything else in GDevelop.

In case you have any questions, suggestions regarding any of the examples, templates at gametemplates.itch.io please use our forum here in the future:
gametemplates.itch.io/forum

Thanks.

Maybe you can add this example :
Load_From_URL.zip (33.7 KB)

This is really awesome, thanks for sharing :slight_smile:
I have changed a little to be able to use also the mouse/touch too and added some variables to set url, object name and animation number so people don’t know JS can still play with it :laughing:
gametemplates.itch.io/gdevelop-examples

All the examples and templates now available at GitHub under MIT license means you can do with the examples and templates whatever you want, share them, redistribute them, say it yours and contribute with improvements or even new examples if you wish.

Visit:
github.com/GameTemplates/GDevelop-Examples

To celebrate the new release of GDevelop that include custom functions that we have been waiting for so long, I have started a new project on GitHub with the purpose to collect some useful functions to share:
github.com/GameTemplates/GDevel … -functions

It is work in progress, I’m going to share it on itch.io when I consider it done or certain I’m not going to add any new functions myself. Too bad we can not copy and paste functions at the moment, but when we have this feature available I hope this project going to worth gold to some people.

In the mean time, we can still copy the actual events if you really want something in your game and feel free to contribute with you own functions on GitHub or improve the existing ones or share some ideas, what sort of functions would you like to see.

You can find the list of functions currently added to the project here:
github.com/GameTemplates/GDevel … onlist.txt

Have fun!

We have a public Trello board now serves as kind of roadmap, ideas, plans to be worked on:

Feel free to share ideas, suggestions, requests you may have on Trello and vote on the projects you would be more interested in.

2 Likes