GDevelop 5 new editor - Beta versions

Thank you for the reply guys. Is the G5 technology behind it is still pixi.js ? Are 4ian still exploring new technology or framework ?

I would like to suggest kha framework. Just discovered it and kinda impress with it.
kha.tech/

There will be a free offline version as far as I know, but 4ian had the vision way before C3 and anyone else to also offer the possibility to move your project to the web and continue development of your game anywhere on any device if you want and move it back to the desktop for offline use anytime if you need it and GDevApp was born. But finally it didn’t worked out so good as the IDE of GDevApp was a lot more limited, many features and editors was not included and the fact you needed to use a 3rd party cloud storage such as dropbox made it difficult to move your project between the web and the desktop version. Required lot of editing to prepare your GDevApp project to work in GDevelop and vice-verse.

GDevelop 5 is maybe an other attempt to cross this bridge, but unfortunately C3 and many others are out there now so the competition is a lot higher. C3 just raised the bar pretty much to the sky if you want to compete in the cloud and if you do a free, fully featured offline version certainly don’t help.

I don’t know why 4ian insist on the light theming maybe it got something to do with the Mac white/grey color choice (though they are moving toward the darker space grey now days) and on the screen of that animal cost the price of a space ship it may look appealing and modern but on my cheap Acer screen cost the price of a box of matches it really killing my eyes :imp:

It a known fact really light theming is not healthy and a dark theming is more relaxing for the eyes. Just take a look at this screenshot, after reading this text on the light theming of the forum I’m sure you can feel how much easier it is on your eyes as you look at it (except on a Mac of course the screen of that beast is from the future :smiling_imp: ):

Yes as far as I know. He was experimenting with Cocos2D.js to replace Pixi.js I don’t know what the conclusion have been after all.

He doesn’t really share any plans and ideas, normally we always face the results only. I think he prefer to discuss development with other developers because most of the time we the users just don’t get it (at least this is what he believe I guess) so I think you are better off visiting the discussion board on GitHub if you want to discuss development and technology. He is open for such discussion but you need to do better than “I think it great”, you need to get more technical and highlight some benefits.

I don’t know what happened but I have just noticed GD5 did not saved the projects, all the examples was the save of an other I made (as I was copy projects to use it as a template to make the next) :astonished:
I had to do all from scratch :confused: What a waste of my time :cry:

But this time, I decided to not upload the examples to the wiki but share them from itch.io so people can preview in the browser as I wanted before actually downloading…

Here is the idea about a layout for the objects editor I described previously, which would unify the handling of “objects” and “groups”, made with Pencil.
I am not really good with this stuff, so it looks kinda bad, but the point is treating the groups like regular objects in the objects editor.

gd_object_editor_layout_idea.png

Tell me what you think, guys.

From your mokup is not clear what if an object is member of multiple groups?
Maybe I want all enemies to be the member of groupA but I also want the enemies with sword to be also the member of groupB and enemies with a gun also member of groupC. So if I want to trigger some action on ALL enemies I can refer to groupA and if I want to trigger some action only on the ones with sword I can refer to groupB and so on.

In GD4 the groups are shown below the objects and you can fold-unfold them and add an object even to multiple groups.
objects-groups.PNG

I think the way it done in GD4 is better and many other things too, that’s why I was campaigning to have GD4 layout in GD5. I think the layout of GD4 just better organized in many aspects…

What you have described works exactly the same as in my model, it’s just that groups are mixed inbetween objects, unlike in GD4. The subgroups in your picture are created through a naming convention, according to which they are separated from the main groups by an underscore.
You can name groups any way you like in my model, as well as putting objects into several groups.
However, the problem you mention is really tricky insofar you’d like to have GUI support for nested groups, because multiple levels of nesting would require multiple levels of indentation, if it’s done in a pane.
Although I don’t see that being done in GD4 nor have I heard of that being a goal set out to achieve in GD5, it’s a great idea and worthy of consideration nevertheless.

I agree with this.

it’s powerful and clean in GD4.

I agree, and was only proposing an alternative because I got into a debate with 4ian and it became clear that the new UI will be much different from that of GD4 and has to be touch-friendly and simplistic.
In my opinion, the layout of GD4 is very professional in many respects and is more suited to a wider audience than a touch interface will ever be, since interfaces with a mouse and keyboard have much more potential for development and design work.
My alternative mainly aims to be simplistic and to avoid any type of clutter. Currently, it kinda sucks that to use objects along with groups and have the properties panel open, there are 3 panels (!) open at the same time, cluttering up the editor space.
Unless you really need nested groups, the proposed model could be extended by a sorting capability, for instance from a dropdown-menu in the “Objects” header, or the ability to select an “Object Groups” view from there. This would actually make it less straightforward, but more visually clutter-free and flexible than the model of GD4. More flexible, because you’d have the opportunity to drag groups inbetween objects any way you like, but also separate them automatically by a sort if you wish to do so.
I might make an extended mockup of this if you guys don’t think this is complete nonsense.

EDIT: I forgot to add - the reason I attribute so little authority to groups in contrast to objects is because they seem like extremely simple objects with 2 properties: a name and the list of objects they contain, that’s it! There is nothing more to them, but even if there will be in the future, I don’t think they’ll be edited/handled as frequently as objects, by a long shot.

It’s hard to answer to everything as there is a lot of discussion currently going on, but that’s good! :laughing:

• The current theme is simply made to be close to the standard colors used in user interfaces. It’s not a choice that I’ve made, it’s just that it’s common and was fast to create. Remember that it’s just that supporting another theme is hours of work, and remember that I’m trying to work as fast as possible on features that really matter so theming is not the first thing to do. :slight_smile:
    But I’ll probably offer options to choose other theme later. Even better, you can help me create another theme! :mrgreen: Start with this file: github.com/4ian/GD/blob/master/ … ltTheme.js

Remember to read this file to know how to get started: github.com/4ian/GD/tree/master/newIDE

• No new framework, it’s a huge to task to switch to another framework and I don’t see a robust, industry proven framework that could be used with huge benefits right now compared to the time to implement it in the game engine.

Competition is nice, they’ve proven that they can be successful using a cloud editor, so GD can afford to offer both. :slight_smile:

Exactly, I’m open to any discussion and I’m noting all feedbacks, but I have to filter things because “I think it’s great to […]” is not sufficient to involve potential hours/days/month of work. :slight_smile: If you have a technical background, you are very welcome on GitHub! Please try to install Node.js, download an IDE like Atom/VS Code/Sublime Text and follow this: github.com/4ian/GD/tree/master/newIDE

You’ll have a far better idea of what can be quickly done and how it’s working once you’ve played a bit with the code of the editor! :slight_smile: It’s really a good opportunity to see how it’s done, and even to submit small enhancements or fixes :smiley:
So I greatly encourage anyone to just try, it’s a good experience.

It’s true that the objects/groups editor could be improved, I’m still trying to see if we can keep them separated to keep things simple and yet be efficient. By the way, have you tried to move the panel so that you put it under the objects list? It won’t eat as much space on the scene editor.
When you guys are creating a game, how often are you modifying/viewing/editing groups? Compared to objects edition, events and scene editing?

Finally, concerning the interface, I know that GD4 is still more powerful/adapted to desktop usage. It’s perfectly normal as it was build with a framework (wxWidgets) which is 25 years old and made only for desktop interfaces :slight_smile: (There was not even tablet/smartphones at this time ahah)
The new UI library (React.js + material-UI) is still not perfect, but I’m convinced that it covers 80% of our usage and we can create the remaining 20%.
Bonus point: it is way more accessible for developers and I’m sure even some of you could understand the source code and made a few modifications. :slight_smile: It is also way more composable and reusable when I design screens and widgets.

I do agree that it has a pain points, the most important one being that most elements on the screen are pretty big (this, and when you’re used to be a power-user of GD4 as you are, it’s difficult to switch to something simpler/not yet as powerful!). But I think this is a problem that can be addressed so that we end up with an interface that is as convenient to use as GD4, maybe even more! There is no reason we can not do it. :slight_smile:

No, I haven’t, but it looks great! I did play around with placing the panels in different locations on the screen, but didn’t notice space could be tiled up like that.
I only wish there was an option to distribute space between two panels in the same column, to make one larger than the other.

I should find a way to make this the default behavior I think :slight_smile:

@ ddabrahim: Thanks for your work on the GD5 doc :slight_smile:
I’ve started to add Help buttons to open the wiki directly in the editor:Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 01.18.22.png

You can find them in some objects editors but I plan to add them to any existing dialog!

@4ian
Do you have any estimate when the for each, repeat and while events arrive to GD5?
I would like to start making some more advanced and more complete game examples and templates but without these events I just have no idea how to do some of the things I have in mind or it would be really messy and difficult without them. :frowning:

They are already available :slight_smile: Click on the big + button in the toolbar

But looks like it’s not obvious how to find them :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks, I have no idea how did I miss that huge button :laughing:

Just finished a first version of the new point editor, inside the Sprite Object editor :slight_smile:

By default, all animations and frames are sharing the same points, we should be clearer than the current GD4 interface. You can’t click to position points for now but the preview is here (and scrollable!)

:mrgreen: Great news, just what I needed.
Thanks a lot.

I can see you have prepared the button for the hitbox editor too, GD5 is coming together really nicely :slight_smile:

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Nice work on the documentation/tutorials by the way :slight_smile: Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it! :smiley:

Yes :slight_smile: It’s a bit more complicated so that will be longer to develop I think though.
But with a few more features, adaptations and documentation I think we’re reaching a point where a lot of users will be able to use GD5 for most of the games they want to create!

I’ve quickly added editor for global variables and game settings in the project manager :slight_smile:
Will release a new desktop beta version soon too!

I’ve released GD5 beta9 desktop version, that you can download as usual from the website: compilgames.net/

All the latest improvements from the web app are here (including game properties, global variables editor, points editor, improved scene editor…).

The desktop version now includes a new “iOS/Android” export (same as “Cordova” from GD4). The game is exported to be compatible with “Cordova” (also called “PhoneGap”). After export, it recommends you to use Adobe PhoneGap Build to compile your game for iOS and Android.
The Cocos2d-JS export is also here, even if it’s hidden by default as being experimental (you have to click on “Show Experimental Exports” to view it).